Google Search Central has made some updates in a section of the developer support page that gives tips on how you can control the site title that Google uses in search results.
The company lists seven best practices for webmasters and marketers for writing title tags that will help what Google shows in the search results.
- Make sure every page has a title tag
- Write concise title tags that describe what the web page is about
- Avoid keyword stuffing
- Avoid boilerplate that is repeated across the site
- Branding phrases are ok until they become boilerplate
- Google sometimes uses what’s in the heading element in the title link
- Use the Robots.txt correctly